Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: CBC Differenital

charliesmom - Sat May 12, 2007 4:36 pm

Hello. I am a 24 yo female, currently diagnosed with "inflammatory arthritis" and obstructive sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with arthritis 1 year ago after experiencing crippling joint pain & fever.

I have currently been experiencing an abnormal amount of fatigue, increasing joint pain & fever. The fatigue is quite debilitating, I am unable to preform 10-20 minutes of any activity without having to lay down & rest & I could sleep all day every day despite how much sleep I received the previous night.

I have been concerned that there is more than just arthritis going on since the exacerbation of symptoms began & recent bloodwork has increased my concerns, especially when compared to a CBC that was done a year ago. I have a family history of leukemia, but I am not sure what type.

My recent CBC differential results:

WBC - normal at 7.1
Platelets - normal at 295
Neutrophils = 30.0% (reference range of 37-75, test 1 year ago showing level of 62.3%)
Lymphocytes - 56.1% (reference range of 12-50, test 1 year ago showing level of 26.2%)
Monocytes - 10.3% (range of 0-10, 1 year ago 6.8%)

I agree with my doctors that there is some type of arthritis occurring, as I have some joint deformities to both hands. My PMD, however, seems concerned that there is something more ocurring, but cannot decide what is going on. I know arthritis can be debilitating, but what I am experiencing has been relentless for the past year, with no flare-remission periods, only ever-increasing symptoms.

I have never had a + rheumatoid factor, or + ANA, only a + HLA-B27 test, and a bone scan that shows abnormal activity in almost every joint. I have been tested for HIV & hepatitis, both of which were negative. My ESR/CRP have been in the normal range, with only 2 execptions, at which point they were only mildly elevated.

My current medications:
Humira injections 40mg every week
Sulfasalazine 3gm/day
Relafen 500 mg/bid
Mobic 15mg/day
Folic Acid 1 gm/day
Ambien 10mg/day
Prednisone bursts as needed, none taking around time of recent CBC

I am hesitant to voice my concerns to my physician as I don't want him to think I am overreacting, but the fatigue & pain has become very debilitating, and honestly, I am beginning to feel a sense of impending doom. Is it possible my abnormal blood studies are simply due to medication? I know that are not significantly abnormal, I am just feeling SO awful. I was not ill with any type of infection at the time the test was preformed.

I have knowledge of medical terminology, as I am an ER nurse, so any opinions/replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 13, 2007 7:50 pm

User avatar Based on what you have described I think leukemia is unlikely. Your CBC differential is only mildly shifted towards lymphocytes and away from neutrophils. It may be that your body has recently fought of a virus.

The arthritis you are describing sounds very suspicious for rheumatoid arthritis. This disease can have systemic symptoms. I would strongly recommend you see a rheumatologist for an evaluation to see if you can be put on a different treatment that may help bring your symptoms under control.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us