Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: What could this be on the bottom backside of my testicle?

 outshined - Wed May 16, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm 24. A little less than 2 years ago (like 19 months ago) I felt a painless pea shaped "thing" on the backside of my left testicle. I have no idea if it was always there and I just now felt it for the first time, or if it was new. It doesn't hurt when I touch it.

To locate it, I kind of have to put my finger at the bottom of the testicle on the front side, and then sort of scoop under and go up very slightly. That's where it seems to be located... behind the testicle near the bottom.

It's hard for me to remember, but it is possible that around that time I did experience some groin pain (pretty much only if I bent over to touch my toes). However, I do a lot of weight training, so I figured that was the cause, which it certainly might have been. The pain went away completely within a week or two. Again, this was almost 2 years ago.

My first question is, based on this description, what could it be?

My second question is, does the fact that it has been there and remained (as far as I can tell) exactly the same for almost 2 years make it any less likely that it's something serious, such as cancer?

I know an examination by a doctor is the only way to know for sure, but I'd still love to hear some opinions anyway. Thanks in advance for any help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:51 am

User avatar Hello,

If this swelling is a superficial skin swelling (scrotal) then inflammation of the Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands are to be considered.

Otherwise causes like spermatocele, varicocele and testicular cancer (less likely) should be investigated.

Epididymitis may cause scrotal swelling but signs of inflammation like pain, skin redness and Odem are present.

Although cancer usually present with painless swelling, it can result in a number of signs and symptoms that are usually persistent and even increase in severity with time.
These symptoms include:
Enlargement in either testicle
A feeling of heaviness in the scrotum
A dull ache in the lower abdomen or groin
Scrotal odema

The history you have given makes a benign cause is more likely to be reason of your swelling.

I advise you to seek direct medical consultation.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us