Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen armpit for months

misty222 - Fri May 18, 2007 5:25 am

I have had a swollen left armpit for several months and it is also very tender to touch. I have noticed over the last couple of days that my left breast is tender if i press it firmly on the side but it does not feel lumpy. It is actually obvious now so that if I look in the mirror with or without my bra on there is a bulge that is visible. I can also see it if I hold my arm up. What are the possible causes? I have heard that it could by Hodgkins lymphoma.
I have not yet been to a doctor. I am a 20 year old female and there is no family history. I am taking oral contraceptives
 lmbd - Sat May 19, 2007 3:15 pm

I am pretty sure that If you had lymphoma you be able to feel swollen lymph nodes somewhere. I have had one under my arm get infected one time and it hurt also but you could feel the knot. I would chech with my doctor if you are worried but it may be your contreceptive. I had to be placed on a low hormone birth control because it made my breast ache all the time. I would think that at 20 your chances of breast cancer would be low but I am currently terrified of lymphoma and I can tell you that your chance of getting it is 0.4% yes thats right 0.4%. Do you have any other symptoms, Night sweats, fatigue, weight loss. Try not to stress. I would think there is a reasonable explanation for this. Try getting off the birth control for a while. it just took about 3-4 weeks for mine to improve after changing. But mine was both breast so just to be safe, ask your doctor.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us