Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Painful Bump Back of Skull

 adriennesmom - Mon May 21, 2007 12:45 am

Hello, I am a 30 yr. old female, no known health problems so far. For the last few days I have had a bump on the back of my head. It is very hard, not moveable, peasize, it is about 2 inches from the bottom of my skull on the left size. The area is sore. Just below the skull is another one right below the first one on my neck, I assumed it was an insect bite or something, but it isn't going away, no redness. I am a little worried about it, but have no health insurance and do not want to go rushing into the dr. for nothing. Any advice would be very nice. Health history if relevant: high cholesterol, migraines. Family history of most all illnesses (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.)
 Marceline F, RN - Thu May 24, 2007 4:07 am

User avatar Dear Adriennesmom,
Are you having any headaches with these bumps or are they only locally tender? An insect bite would not necessarily become reddened, and could stay swollen for several days. If you suspect an insect bite, you may wish to check with your MD if taking Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) may help. An insect bite that swells is actually a tyoe of an allergic reaction to the toxin of the insect. Diphenhydramine and even OTC Ranitidine (Zantac) may help. The former is an antihistamine commonly used for stuffy noses and as a sleep aid in meds such as Tylenol PM. The latter is a H-2 bloccker - a different type of histamine blocker. You may also try applying an ice pack to the area for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for a couple hours and see if it helps decrease the localized inflammation. If there is headache or changes in vision or sensation anywhere else, it would be wise to be evaluated at the local ER, or urgent care clinic. As always, if the bumps change adversely in shape, size or pain, please be seen as soon as possible by a medical professional..

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us