Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Lump under ear / behind jaw

nslick - Mon May 21, 2007 8:47 pm

I'm a 26 year old male and in good health.

About two months ago I noticed a small lump under my ear and slightly behind my jaw. It had grown over the month to become somewhat large. I saw a Dr. on the matter and he said it was probably a lymph node and a round of antibiotics would help. I took them but nothing really went down. He said to give it about 6 weeks, which has come and gone now (this being week 7). It is probably the same size or at least slightly smaller. It isn't fixed in place and I can move it back and forth slightly. There is a good deal of pain after touching it, but otherwise it gives me no trouble except for a random pain here and there.

Any help is appreciated! Should I get a second opinion??
 debmatt - Tue May 22, 2007 1:35 pm

If it has gotten smaller, not bigger that is a good sign. If you are touching the node and poking at it often this will keep it from getting smaller also. From what I have read (and it is a lot) your lymph nodes are very sensitive and you can aggrevate them. I have had some where I have rubbed them 50 times a day to see what their size was and then when I left them alone they shrunk. Hope this helps!

Deb
 nslick - Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Just an update on what I posted about awhile back.

The lymph node in question never went back down in size, and is still seemingly fluctuating slightly from larger to smaller on occasion. I have also developed a stiffness of sorts in my jaw, my vision is slightly blurred even after corrective eyewear, and I find myself having trouble focusing. My ears also have the feeling you experience when they need to pop, yet I am unable to get them to do so for two months now.

I saw a doctor last summer and bloodwork was done that came back completely normal. A scan was done that showed I have multiple enlarged nodes, none of which are apparently even close to a size that would call for concern or the need to biopsy.

Still experiencing the random pains, though they are not that often. I do seem to experience very random and brief pains all over my neck on occasion.

Should I worry that it still hasn't gone down, or is the fact that after 2 years it is still relatively the same size something that is in my favor. I am a worrier, so I tend to of course worry.

Any help is appreciated.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 am

User avatar Hi,
From the description of the swelling that you have provided, i am really unable to visualize the exact site.
However, as a surgeon i would tend to stick to the dictum "a lump in the paotid space (the anatomical location of the parotid glands) should be considered a parotid lump unless proven otherwise".
Please consult a surgeon if you have not done so already.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us