Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Chemotherapy

Question: Does CellCept cross the blood brain barrier?

Godsgal - Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 pm

I have Neuromyelitis Optica / Devics Disease and I am taking CellCept currently. This is following 6 treatments of Cytoxin last year. Does CellCept cross the blood brain barrier, or just act upon the activated immune cells peripherally? I guess this applies to Imuran / Azathioprine too.

Do you have any resources for this information?

Thank you so much!

Godsgal
 Godsgal - Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:03 pm

I guess nobody knows the answer. Would be good to know if used for diseases involving the CNS - don't you think? I do know that it was created for organ transplant rejection and designed to work peripherally.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:35 am

User avatar
Does CellCept cross the blood brain barrier, or just act upon the activated immune cells peripherally?

CellCept doesn't cross blood brain barrier.

CellCept is an immunosuppressant. It inhibits lymphocyte (B and T) proliferation and antibody production. This results the suppression of immune system and reduces the production of antibodies attacking the receptor sites in the nervous system.