Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: very hard lump above collar bone

 megg - Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:10 am

Hello! I am a 30 yo female with a very hard, fixed, golf ball size lump just above my collar bone(along with drenching night sweats, severely itchy legs to the point I scratch until I bleed and radiating pain down my left arm). This started out as a pea sized lump in November. I finally decided to seek the advice of my dr. He sent me to get a CT scan with contrast and it came back clear. I am so confused and wondering if I should seek another opinion. I am not feeling well and need to get this resolved. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:21 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you continue to pursue this. If you are unable to get a diagnosis with imaging you may need to have a biopsy of the lump to see what the cause is.

If needed, I would recommend you request a second opinion and continue to follow up with your doctor until this is resolved.

Best wishes.
 megg - Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:46 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I have one more question. Yesterday my doctor called me and said he *thinks* it is a rib. Is it possible for a rib to grow? I am even more confused now. Thank you in advance for your help!
 debmatt - Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:12 pm


I agree that the lump should be biopsied. The bump along with the symptoms sound like it could be lymphoma. Please go see an ENT doctor if you can. I don't want to alarm you but it is best to be safe.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us