Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Constipation problem

 coookiie - Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:02 pm

I am having some constipation problem for about 4 days... I took some laxatives yesterday and still no change. What kind of specialist should I see? I know the correct thing to do is see my family practice and they'll recommend to another physician. But I would much prefer going to the correct specialist. Is Oncologist the correct term???

 Marceline F, RN - Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:39 am

User avatar Dear Coookiie,
There are many things that can contribute to constipation. It would be helpful to know more about your medical history, any underlying medical problems, and routine medications that you take. A young person with constipation may signal one type of problem, an older person with co-morbidities may have other contributing factors. Pain medicines have an unfortunate side effect of "slowing" down intestinal motility, and can be responsible for serious constipation problems. Dehydration can also contribute. Changes in eating habits, decreasing fiber in the diet, or eating binding types of foods excessively can also be the culprits. Certain medications will slow the bowels as well. It is always the best way to go when self-diagnosing to weight all the factors in your lifestyle and health habits. The best solution to an acute problem is to identify the source of the problem and eliminate or change it. If all else fails and you need to address it to a healthcare professional, I recommend you first talk to your primary MD. Your problem may be easily addressed at that level without the need for intervention from a specialist, which by the way would be a gastro-enterologist (meaning a specialist in stomach/intestines). Don't underestimate the knowledge base of your primary MD! He/she could pleasantly surprise you!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us