Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: hard, somewhat painful lump on back of neck

det - Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:05 pm

dear nurse/doctor,

i am a 22 yr old male. i recently discovered a small, hard lump, less than half the size of a pea. it is located at the base of my neck, 2-3 inches below the hairline. it was initially not painful, but i suppose i've poked around it too much, and now it feels somewhat painful.

am i looking at possible lymphoma here, or is this just an infected lymph node?

i tried to search for a similar situation through these forums but wasn't very successful.

i am rather worried, so i'd be very grateful for a response.

thank you.
 det - Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:45 am

something i should've mentioned previously...

i did have the flu for a few days, but that was three weeks ago.

for over a week, however, i have had mild sore throat that hasn't quite gone away.

also, i did return from being abroad recently, but i've been in the US for a month now.

the node is painful to the touch, however, just this morning it was not. perhaps i have touched it too much.

i would much appreciate a response, thank you

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us