Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Breast Lump and swollen armpit

mmnair - Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:37 am

I am 2 year old female with no family history of breast cancer. I first noticed a lump on my left breast 9 years ago. I was told by a doctor that it is not anything serious. Now I have a baby 3 years old and I breastfed her for 2 1/2 years. Both my armpits are swollen or i should say sagged by the end of pregnancy.I consulted a doctor and she told me to leave it as such. No problems. I have discomfort on these armpits for sometime now. My breast lump appears as a large mass, but it moves also. There is no other discomfort for all these years or any changes. Will this be malignant ?
 Marceline F, RN - Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:02 am

User avatar Dear Mmnair,
The only way to know if a lump has the potential to be malignant is to do a biopsy. I would say, if you have any concerns about the lump in your breast it would be worth your peace of mind to have it checked out further. Have you had a mammogram? This is a non-invasive (even though not fun) exam that would be the first smart step in finding out more about the lump. And I would ask your primary to evaluate the findings of the mammogram and determine if a referral to a specialist is in your best interest. Again,sometimes, to gain peace of mind, it is worth pursuing our concerns to the best level possible.