Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Grape size mass centered on cervical

dYgit - Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:54 pm

I consider myself to be a healthy, 36 yo female, but last night my husband found a hard (rubbery?) grape sized mass centered on the cervical spine, dead center in back of neck. I can't move it side to side, but I can push it in. It protrudes when I bend my head back. I have been having what I thought were tension headaches, and night sweats. No fever or sickness presently, although I was severely congested for a couple of weeks beginning of June. Cancer is prevalent in my family, which worries me. I went to the doctor's office today, his nurse practitioner ordered a CT of my neck for tomorrow morning. Should I be going a different route or ordering different tests?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:40 pm

User avatar It may be a lipoma, a small fat cell tumor that is not cancerous.

The CT scan is likely to be the way to go. Based on it's location I think cancer is unlikely. If the CT scan is not helpful you may need to consider having a biopsy done just to be sure of what the mass is.

Lipomas can be removed surgically (sometimes even in the office) if they are bothersome.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us