Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Grape size mass centered on cervical

dYgit - Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:54 pm

I consider myself to be a healthy, 36 yo female, but last night my husband found a hard (rubbery?) grape sized mass centered on the cervical spine, dead center in back of neck. I can't move it side to side, but I can push it in. It protrudes when I bend my head back. I have been having what I thought were tension headaches, and night sweats. No fever or sickness presently, although I was severely congested for a couple of weeks beginning of June. Cancer is prevalent in my family, which worries me. I went to the doctor's office today, his nurse practitioner ordered a CT of my neck for tomorrow morning. Should I be going a different route or ordering different tests?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:40 pm

User avatar It may be a lipoma, a small fat cell tumor that is not cancerous.

The CT scan is likely to be the way to go. Based on it's location I think cancer is unlikely. If the CT scan is not helpful you may need to consider having a biopsy done just to be sure of what the mass is.

Lipomas can be removed surgically (sometimes even in the office) if they are bothersome.