Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: painful mass in the armpit

Priya - Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:41 am

I am a 19 year old girl. I found some swelling and bloated skin about the size of a walnut in my right armpit about 8 months back. the area is slightly painful when i touch it. i cant find any hard lumps except for the nodes. i got it checked by a doctor but she didnt feel any lump and just gave me some pain killers saying that its muscle pain. but i am still doubtful as it has not decreased in size...also the size of my right breast has increased and i feel a lot of itching on the breast.i don't have any family history of breast cancer though my mother did suffer from fibroids in the uterus. i am really worried....could this be serious...should i get it checked again.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm

While both your description as well as the fact that you were examined are reassuring, I always tend to respect a patient's perception of her own breast. Its tricky since you are very young.

However, I would agree that a second opinion is in order mainly because you have new symptoms and if only to put your mind at ease.