Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: painful mass in the armpit

Priya - Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:41 am

I am a 19 year old girl. I found some swelling and bloated skin about the size of a walnut in my right armpit about 8 months back. the area is slightly painful when i touch it. i cant find any hard lumps except for the nodes. i got it checked by a doctor but she didnt feel any lump and just gave me some pain killers saying that its muscle pain. but i am still doubtful as it has not decreased in size...also the size of my right breast has increased and i feel a lot of itching on the breast.i don't have any family history of breast cancer though my mother did suffer from fibroids in the uterus. i am really worried....could this be serious...should i get it checked again.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm

User avatar Hello,

While both your description as well as the fact that you were examined are reassuring, I always tend to respect a patient's perception of her own breast. Its tricky since you are very young.

However, I would agree that a second opinion is in order mainly because you have new symptoms and if only to put your mind at ease.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us