Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colon polyps/ familial polyposis

anprdp - Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:52 am

At age 28, I underwent a colonoscopy screening due to stomach pain. I have IBS and have had it for years (since pre-puberty). During this screening, multiple polyps were found. Two of the polyps detected were already of size that they could not be removed during the colonoscopy. I later underwent a right hemicolectomy. The following year, actually 11 months since the colectomy, 5 more polyps had grown. My doctors remarks to my mother (whom came to drive me) were I would have to be screened every year as I developed them fast. My question is does this lead me to believe I have familial polyposis? From most articles I have read the number of polyps are more substantial than what I have had, but still I have quite a few and they develop so fast and tend to grow large if unchecked apparently.
My next question would be, does this mean at some point I will have cancer, no matter if I receive my screenings once a year?

Age now: 30 (next test next Feb.)
Female
Diabetes, colon polyps, more things diagnosised than I know what to do with.
Surgeries: TMJ surgery, 2 D&C's, Gallbladder removal, tubal ligation, tubal reversal, right hemicolectomy, Lap. abscess removal, 2 septoplastys, FESS, T&A, turbinate reduction

Family history: no family history of this or colon cancer from what I can find.

Current medications: Nexium 80 mg a day, Avandamet 2mg/1000mg
 anprdp - Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:54 am

Also , none of these polyps came back cancerous at this time. All were they type to cause cancer.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us