Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Feels like lump in throat

JustMe - Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:12 pm

I' m sorry for posting this twice (in another forum) but I noticed there were different doctors in this forum and may you would have a different opinion.

Brief history...I smoke. I smoked for 10 years, quit for 5 and have been smoking again for about 4 years.I am wanting to quit and trying, but it is difficult. I am a white female, age 39. I have what feels like a lump in my throat. I went to the doc back in February and discussed the lump as well as cronic heart burn. I underwent an Upper GI which came back clear,(no Peptic ulcer, no damage to my esophagus, no hernia) but showed I have reflux. The doc put me on Prevacid and my sympoms cleared up, however....the lump has returned. I started getting a little breakthrough acid, so I started supplementing with Pepcid AC, which I have OK'd with my doctor. I also take Flonaise and sometimes a decongestant or Alavert as I have allergies. I have been under some stress and recently quit my job, as that was the primary cause of my stresses. The family and I took a vacation and the lump went away while we were on vacation, but has since returned. The lump was so bad this morning that I vomited, because I felt I was being gagged. I also notices a mild wheezing sound but that went away upon clearing of my throat, which it seems I do that a lot now. No major cough or even a smokers cough. I just need to clear my throat a little more than usual.

I found this information on the internet and was wondering if someone could read it and tell me if this could be what it is. I do not have any symptoms of cancer (I used to suffer from some minor hoarseness, but that has since cleared up and I haven't had that problem in several weeks) no unexplaned weight loss, no Coughing up blood or anything like that. My mother thinks it is post nasal drip, but I can't be sure. Can you check out this web sight and let me know if this is legit, as it describes my symptoms to a T. The lump disappears when I sleep and when I eat, it comes back after eating and shortly after I wake up in the morning.

http://www. voicedoctor. net/therapy/cps. html

Could this be what I have, or do you think I need to maybe increase my doseage of Prevacid or maybe change to Nexium, which from what I have read, helps heal the esophagus?

Thanks for any information.
 JustMe - Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Forgot to mention, I do have a call in to my doctor today for a possible referral to an ENT.
 JustMe - Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:19 pm

And, other than the lump...I feel fine. (Sorry for the replys, the forum won't allow me to edit the original post). No fever, no lymph node swelling (that I can tell) or any other illness symptoms. Just the lump in my throat. I sleep fine and I eat fine (probably too fine, lol) and no weight loss (I wish, lol).

Thanks

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us