Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Feels like lump in throat

JustMe - Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:12 pm

I' m sorry for posting this twice (in another forum) but I noticed there were different doctors in this forum and may you would have a different opinion.

Brief history...I smoke. I smoked for 10 years, quit for 5 and have been smoking again for about 4 years.I am wanting to quit and trying, but it is difficult. I am a white female, age 39. I have what feels like a lump in my throat. I went to the doc back in February and discussed the lump as well as cronic heart burn. I underwent an Upper GI which came back clear,(no Peptic ulcer, no damage to my esophagus, no hernia) but showed I have reflux. The doc put me on Prevacid and my sympoms cleared up, however....the lump has returned. I started getting a little breakthrough acid, so I started supplementing with Pepcid AC, which I have OK'd with my doctor. I also take Flonaise and sometimes a decongestant or Alavert as I have allergies. I have been under some stress and recently quit my job, as that was the primary cause of my stresses. The family and I took a vacation and the lump went away while we were on vacation, but has since returned. The lump was so bad this morning that I vomited, because I felt I was being gagged. I also notices a mild wheezing sound but that went away upon clearing of my throat, which it seems I do that a lot now. No major cough or even a smokers cough. I just need to clear my throat a little more than usual.

I found this information on the internet and was wondering if someone could read it and tell me if this could be what it is. I do not have any symptoms of cancer (I used to suffer from some minor hoarseness, but that has since cleared up and I haven't had that problem in several weeks) no unexplaned weight loss, no Coughing up blood or anything like that. My mother thinks it is post nasal drip, but I can't be sure. Can you check out this web sight and let me know if this is legit, as it describes my symptoms to a T. The lump disappears when I sleep and when I eat, it comes back after eating and shortly after I wake up in the morning.

http://www. voicedoctor. net/therapy/cps. html

Could this be what I have, or do you think I need to maybe increase my doseage of Prevacid or maybe change to Nexium, which from what I have read, helps heal the esophagus?

Thanks for any information.
 JustMe - Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Forgot to mention, I do have a call in to my doctor today for a possible referral to an ENT.
 JustMe - Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:19 pm

And, other than the lump...I feel fine. (Sorry for the replys, the forum won't allow me to edit the original post). No fever, no lymph node swelling (that I can tell) or any other illness symptoms. Just the lump in my throat. I sleep fine and I eat fine (probably too fine, lol) and no weight loss (I wish, lol).