Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: worried bump on back of head.

bo - Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:10 pm

I'm a 41 male in good health.about a month ago I found a bump on the back of my head on the right side.Its about an inch higher than my ear is and its about an inch to the right of the spine its not very big maybe the size of a pea or 2 peas.When I touch it, it hurts a little bit its not a real bad pain but it does hurt and then after a minute then pain goes away.sometimes my neck will hurt on its own with a dull jolt of pain that comes and goes a few times a day.The bump never moves it always in the same spot and its never gotten any bigger.im really worried about what could this be?and should I be concerned about it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:39 pm

User avatar There are a number of cysts that you can get which might fit this description and they are typically not serious and need no treatment. But, without seeing a doctor it would be impossible to say if this is what is going on. I wouldn't feel an urgency but would recommend you see a dermatologist for an evaluation if it doesn't go away in a few weeks or if it gets worse, you develop fever, redness, or other symptoms.