Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: HPV and Oral Cancer

wesman200098 - Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:11 pm

I am 25 male, and recently, I read that HPV can cause oral cancer through oral sex. I have only had oral sex with two different women, and I just wanted to know if the risk of getting oral cancer is high from HPV, and also, if there were any HPV tests for men.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:57 pm

User avatar There is currently no test to detect HPV in men because an effective, reliable way to collect a sample of male genital skin cells, which would allow detection of HPV, has yet to be developed. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises men that they don’t need to be worried about about lack of a test because "there is no clear health benefit to knowing if men have this virus, since HPV is unlikely to affect their health and cannot be treated. For most men, there would be no need to treat HPV, even if treatment were available, since it usually goes away on its own."

For more information go to http://www.cdc.gov