Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Small lump - male

concernedguy1 - Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:06 pm

I am a healthy 24yr old male. A few weeks back I was rubbing my shoulder/upper chest after lifting at the gym, and noticed a small (~4mmx2mm), nontender, mobile, firm bump. The lump is approx 3in directly above the areola, and, there is a vein that this lump appears to sit upon. I have no discharge, puckering, discoloration, rashes, and no axillary lymph nodes are palpable.

I know male breast cancer is quite rare, but in your opinion, should I be concerned here?

I have no related diagnoses, no current meds, and the only surgery I had was when I was about 6yrs old I had my adenoids removed and tubes put in my ears.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:23 pm

User avatar Hi Concernedguy1,

Given the rarity of male breast cancer it is very likely that this is not cancer. More likely you are feeling a lymph node or possibly a lipoma (harmless fat cell tumor) under the skin.

However, these are the "excuses" many men with breast cancer use causing their cancers to be picked up late. So, I would recommend you have your doctor evaluate this just to be sure. Odds are it is fine but it could be a costly mistake.

concernedguy1 - Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:46 am

Thank you for your response!

I'll try to get it checked out this week.