Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: MRI Shows Tumor, What Now?

pcdthebum - Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:25 am

I have been suffering headaches for several years, chronic headaches, a daily thing. I finally was able to see a neurologist and had an MRI. I got the news I was hoping not to hear. It appears I have a small tumor in what looked like the lower left temporal lobe, toward the middle of my head. I learned this this morning, and I am really trying to remain calm as difficult as it is. The neuro is consulting surgeons and radiologists on what the next step is, and he has said that a biopsy is almost certain (which is terrifying). What are the real statistics here? I know I am not going to die from this thing any time soon, unless it grows very rapidly, on the MRI picture (the large print with like 30 small pictures on it so maybe a 3" x 3" picture or whatever dimension) the tumor was about the size of three popcorn kernels set next to each other ( the non-popped kind). It is not a big tumor, but it is larger than I wish was there. I am 20 and a male, no smoking, illegal drugs, drinking. What could have caused this and where is this going, what will my next few months be like trying to get this all figured out?

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:27 pm

User avatar Hi Pcdthebum,

The next step for you will be determining what this tumor is. There are many kinds of tumor, some are cancerous and some are not. Although this may be cancer, it may also not be.

A biopsy is probably going to be the best way to find out for sure what is going on. While there are some risks, the biopsy is not as bad as it sounds.

Talking with a neurosurgeon will help give you a much better sense of what this entails.

Best wishes. I hope this turns out well for you.