Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Lump Above Collarbone

zirgon - Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:49 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 7 months ago i was diagnosed with a dermoid cyst in my neck. It was surgically removed. Recently i noticed a lump above my collarbone on the left side. I have constant pain in my shoulder, collarbone, throat and neck area on the left side and sometimes i get this weird/pain feeling in my throat when i talk/sing. I have been seeing my doctor and surgeon and they say its just an enlarged lymph node. but it is really hurting and affecting my work and everything. i cant get through an 8 hour shift without going home early due to pain. i keep telling the doctor that it hurts a lot and they just say that it will go away. i had a ct scan and my surgeon said he couldnt see anything wrong. This is the worst feeling i have ever had and i don't know what to do about it because the doctors don't have any answers. i see the doc on tuesday and am demanding to see a specialist. Another condition i have that might be related is that i got this red spot on my ankle that turned into a scab like spot and another appeared on my arm. its just a small spot but why is it there.why do i get these dried out/flaky spots. Im only 21 and i have these weird things happening and no one knows why so i thought i see if anyone else has the same symptoms and if anyone can help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:45 pm

User avatar Hi Zirgon,

The area you have the lump in does have some lymph nodes there. Generally if there are significantly swollen supraclavicular nodes it is a reason to look further for a problem. If the node is not getting better I would recommend a biopsy.

Seeking a second opinion is a reasonable thing if you feel you still have questions or want another perspective on how best to proceed. Most physicians would not be offended by a second opinion.

Follow up with your doctor is important also.