Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swolen lympnodes for years

ian_nh - Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm a 26 yo male who has had swolen lymph nodes through out my neck as well as under my ears and jaw and sides of my neck for years.

I went to a doctor about 6 years ago and he told me that some people have larger than normal lymph nodes. They do not hurt. The ones I have noticed before only get larger when I'm sick, but now I'm finding new lumps on the side of my neck that I did not notice before. I'm not sure if they where there before or not. They are small. Most just slightly bigger than a grain of puffed rice. Again, none of them hurt.

I grow more and more concerned about them. I want to know what they could be or if its just what the last doctor said, larger than average but harmless.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:45 pm

User avatar Hi Ian_nh,

It sounds like you have a condition we call "shotty" lymph nodes. These are normal, properly functioning, non-cancerous lymph nodes that happen to be big enough to feel. They get their name because they feel a little like buckshot.

If you notice that the nodes become fixed or are getting bigger you should have them reexamined.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written a very good article summarizing lymph nodes that you may find helpful. It can be found here.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us