Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen lymph nodes

rapturex22 - Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:58 pm

i am 29 years old/ female. a little over a year ago i noticed a knot on the right side of my neck just in front of my trapezoid muscle. within the last year it has gotten bigger. about a month ago i had a c-scan. i was told that there are actually two enlargements. the one i can feel is 8mmx5mm and the other is 12mm. i have not had a cold or any kind of illness within the last year, i am usually a very active person, but over the last couple of months i have experienced extreme fatigue. i am always exhausted. also within the last couple of months i have been sweating really bad in my sleep. when i wake up it's like i've been running or exercising all night. i have also noticed a loss in appetite and i have a non-itchy rash on my upper arms, abdomen and upper legs. i had blood work done two weeks ago and was told that it was normal. i have been on antibiotics several times with no improvement. i check back with an ear, throat and nose specialist on tuesday. he doesn't seem concerned, however i am. i was told by another physician that having a biopsy is an option. i would feel better knowing what is going on with me. should i push for a biopsy and if i'm refused, should i seek a second opinion? thank you!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:00 pm

User avatar Hi Rapturex22,

By simple odds of what's most common, these lumps are probably lymph nodes. However, if they are getting bigger and have been present for a prolonged period of time it is reasonable to consider a biopsy.

Your symptoms may be consistent with a viral infection such as EBV (mononucleosis) or CMV. Other less common possibilities include an infection with TB or another fungus like coccidioides immitis or possibly a cancer.

rapturex22 - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:12 pm

i've been tested for mono and it came back negative. i go tomorrow to the ear, throat and nose specialist. are there specific questions i should be asking? i really don't like how my doctor is kind of blowing it off and not that concerned especially with my symptoms. what other kind of specialist could i see about this? thanks again.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:52 pm

User avatar An ENT doctor is probably the best doctor to see. I would recommend you talk with your doctor and explain that you are concerned and would like to follow a more proactive workup. Sometimes doctors tend to use a wait and see approach because they believe the patient does not want a more aggressive approach.