Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Question about ultrasound (spleen, liver and pelvis)

labtechmom - Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi, I am a 32y old healthy female. Only history: appedix removal in 1984, 8 idiopathic miscarriages from 2000-2004, 2 normal pregancies, gallblader removal in 2006 (right after childbirth).

My recent symptoms: Tiredness, Itchy all over but worse in lower legs and face (more specifically along jawline). Feeling of fullness in groin area for about 9 weeks. Same feeling in armpits for about 4 weeks and 3 weeks ago acute pain on upper left abdomen witch made me call my doctor. Since then, early satiety and very nausiated.

My doctor did full examination plus lab work and x-ray + abdominal/pelvic ultrasound.

Chest X-ray: Normal

Blood work: ESR: Normal, CBC: Normal WBC, RBC and platelet. Hgb, MCV low. Smear review: presence of microcytes and megathrombocytes. Presence of few activated cells. TSH: Normal Renal profile: Normal Liver profile: ALP slightly elevated and LDH moderatly elevated.

Ultrasound: (Only writting abnormal findings)

Liver: Diffusely hyperechoic
Pancreas: Increased (diffusely)
Spleen: Length: 13.6 cm Width: 5.2 cm Depth: 11.0 cm Volume: 406.9 cc

Pelvis: Fluid in rigth adnexa and +++ follicles on left ovary.

My question is: Do I have "splenomegaly"? What, in your opinion, do you think I have based on symptoms and results?

Sorry but another question in mind is that my son is being followed by hemato-oncologist and one of the possibility is that he might have lymphoma. What are the chances we have the same thing. Could it be possible for a mother to give the disease to her unborn child if process already started??

My next app't is in a month.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:34 pm

User avatar Hi Labtechmom,

Based on these ultrasound measurements I would say your spleen is very mildly enlarged. Many consider a spleen that measures greater than 11 cm at it's widest point to be enlarged and greater than 20 cm to be severely enlarged.

Your symptoms sound like you may have a diffuse infection such as can occur with ebstein barr virus (mononucleosis). Your symptoms do not sound particularly concerning for lymphoma.

Regarding your son, lymphoma is not a disease that would be passed on to the unborn child during pregnancy.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us