Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: gum cancer

shabbychic - Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:37 pm

Hello

I am a 57 year old women, I have had Lung cancer. 5 yrs survivor, breast cancer survivor, 5 yrs. And I have colitis. I take synthroid, and purinethol. My question is this. What causes black gums?? I have noticed that my gums are turning black. I take good care of my teeth but I don't understand what could be wrong now. I do not have a dentist at present as mine just retired. Could this be gum cancer??? I have been swishing with a weak solution of H. peroxide but this has not helped.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:07 pm

User avatar Hi Shabbychic,

I did a brief search of the literature and wasn't able to find much on this. Some people have normally darker gum tissue. If your dark gums are new I would recommend you see a dentist or your doctor for an evaluation of this.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us