Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen nodes for a few years

gizmogizmo - Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Dear Dr,

I am a 24 year old female with no relevent medical history, on no medications. About 3 years ago I discovered very swollen lymph nodes in my groin area. About 3/4 were present on both sides, they felt firm/rubbery and they were not sore.They were more marked on the right, where one particularly large node was present (about5x10 mm). I went to see a doctor who made me fell a little silly, told me I had 'shotty' glands and to stop worrying. He suggested that they were associated with shaving/waxing. I have stopped either of these, with no difference.

Since then, the nodes have persisted, if anything are now a little larger and seem to be associated with a general ache. I have a few smaller rubbery glands in my neck that have cropped up more recently.

Other more non-descript things I feel every so often included sometimes painful sex. As well, sometimes a severe, sharp pain shooting up through by vagina/anus, lasts seconds(no constipation). This pain can be so severe that I jump involuntarily if I'm sitting, but it happens only say once every few weeks, that I often forget about it. Very irregular periods. Random itchiness of my skin, every so often.

About 2 years ago I suffered terrible night sweats, every night for a few months.

Sorry about the collection of symptoms, but I feel a bit stupid going back to my GP. I watched him subtly write 'cancer phobic' into his notes, so I'm worried that will taint his, or any other doctor in the practices opinion!

But saying that, I am really worried that I could have lymphoma or something similar! Please help as soon as you can.

Many thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:45 am

User avatar HI Gizmogizmo,

I think cancer is pretty unlikely. A cancer presenting with swollen lymph nodes would be very unlikely to remain asymptomatic for several years.

Possible causes include an infection with a bacteria called bartonella (cat scratch fever) or possibly an infection with a fungus such as coccidiodes immitis (valley fever). I think a fungal infection is less likely. Other things to consider would be conditions such as histiocytosis.

If you search the web for histiocytosis you'll find a lot of concerning and severe symptoms. This would not be the type of histiocytosis present for you. There are actually several types of this condition ranging from mild to severe.

I would also suggest testing for STD's if there is any possibility of this.

In cases such as this sometimes it is necessary to do a biopsy of one of the lymph nodes to find out what is causing the persistent swelling. Now that you are having some discomfort from them this may be a reasonable thing to do. A biopsy is a simple procedure.

Follow up with your doctor is important. I suspect everyone with swollen lymph nodes is at least a little concerned about cancer so I wouldn't be too concerned about this thought. Just explain your symptoms to your doctor and express your concerns.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us