Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Supraclavicular lymph nodes?

 Inthe10s - Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:38 am

I am a 19 y/o male with no history of any major health issues. i was in a car wreck in march of 2007.. leaving me with a terrable seatbelt burn on my left shoulder all the way down my stomach. i recentley discovered an enlarged lymph node in the area where my seatbelt burn was. so i got to feeling around and went to the doctor about two months ago, and had a blood test done...everything came back normal. But just today i was feeling for the supraclavicular lymph nodes, and i found something that seems to be somewhat flat and mobile ATTACHED to the top side my clavicle (kinda like a vein but a little firmer). it does not feel round like the one in my neck, but kinda flat and rubbery. I felt about a fingers width above the clavicle and didnt feel anything else. Are the lymph nodes attached to the clavicle, or are they mainly away from it closer to the shoulder?

Thanks for any advise you might have
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:55 pm

User avatar Hi InThe10s,

There is a chain of lymph nodes that runs basically the entire length of the clavicle, just above it, called the supraclavicular lymph node chain. It is found on both sides.

What you are feeling may very well be a supraclavicular lymph node. If it remains mobile and not enlarging it is likely simply a normal lymph node that is a bit scarred causing it to be large enough to feel. If it begins getting bigger or become immobile you should have it evaluated.

You may also be feeling an are of calcification under the skin from the accident. If, by chance, there was some bleeding in the area causing a small blood clot under the skin it may have subsequently calcified.

I would suggest you have your doctor take a look at this the next time you are in just to be sure.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us