Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Hodgkins now Achalasia

vinnie - Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Vinnie here was diagnosed with Hodgkins, Dec-05 had it for 10mos, stage 3B,NS, area infected was the retroperitoneum-mesentery part of the abdomen, in the 9mo had problems swallowing food,regurgitation,hiccups etc.Went for 6mos of ABVD after that went for a barium swallow they saw narrow tapering of the esophagus, then a manometry test, had absent-peristalsis of the esophagus, would like to know if this caused by the Hodgkins.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:05 am

User avatar Hello Vinnie,

I am sorry to hear all that you have gone through! Hang in there you seem to be a survivor!

So what happened after your diagnosis with Hodgkin's Lymphoma? Were you treated with ABVD right away? Did you receive radiotherapy after you finished your 6 cycles of ABVD?

A number of possibilities can cause your condition starting from the effects of radiotherapy to a tumor / lymphoma (unlikely) to something completely benign and unrelated to your diagnosis of Hodgkin's lymphoma.

What was your doctor's opinion? Did he order any other investigations?
 vinnie - Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 am

After going for a Cat scan last week they saw slightly increase lymphadenopathy in the mesentery area,it was good being in remission for a year,so my doc ordered a PET scan,is there any other chemo-treatment besides ABVD,looking at past CAT scans the Bleomycin is putting small scars in both of my lobes {ground-glass opacities}, do not want to end up with pulmonary fibrosis as i grow old,had a lot of left shoulder pain in the last 6mos,went to see a Orthopaedic we thought it was a rotator cuff problem did 2mos of physical therapy only made it worse,ordered a MRI test, came back negative,seen a lot of imflammation in that area.I'm now wondering if i have Rheumatism and this is causing lymph node enlargement thus causing Hodgkins.As for my Achalasia went for a pneumatic balloon dilation can finally swallow again-Vinnie

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us