Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Lung Cancer ?

JokersOneLove92 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:13 pm

I am having trouble breathing, I get numbness in my hand and arms frequently, Weezing has become a problem, I have severe chest pains, I have a constant cough and I tend to cough up blood. I am 19 years old and I have had one doctor tell me that it is possible that even at this age I could have lung cancer. I want to know if it is really a likely possibility and if there are high chance's of it being something else. If there is anything else that comes to mind what is it? and what should I do ?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:47 pm

User avatar Hi JokersOneLove92,

While lung cancer is possible and could cause your symptoms it is quite unlikely in someone your age. (Unlikely things do happen, though, so it is certainly worth thinking about.) I think there are a few different things that are much more likely.

You may be having a severe asthma attack or a lung infection such as a pneumonia. I would recommend you have some testing done, including a chest x-ray and a CBC. These would be a good place to start. You may also want to consider having a ppd placed to test for tuberculosis.

Follow up with a doctor is very important.

nancybr - Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:03 am

I totally agree with you