Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Lump on top of my rib

troyzlisa - Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:19 pm

I am a 41 yr. old female.My fathers entire family (12kids) & several of my Mom's family members have died from cancer.My Mom & her brother have lung cancer right now.I noticed a lump in my left groin area a couple yrs. go told the dr. he didn't seem concerned. I 've been feeling like something is getting stuck under my left rib cage .last week i thought I felt a lump Today i was able to feel the entire thing .it is rather large approx. 7cm wide . I bent over and was able to grab it .It doesn't hurt.It does get uncomfortable sometimes when i bend and it gets stuck between my rib i guess.It is on top of the last 2 ribs on the left side.what could this possibly be and should I seek medical attention?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:24 am

User avatar Hi Troyzlisa,

This seems to be a fairly large mass that has developed quickly. I would suggest you have this evaluated. I'm not exactly certain what this would be but a tumor of some type (cancerous or non-cancerous) is certainly a possibility.

You may need some imaging studies and possibly a biopsy of this mass to help determine what is causing this.