Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: sharp pain in lung

jdnight - Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:50 am

hi i am a 35 male,and a smoker about 1 and 1/2 packs a day.i have had a sharp pain in my back almost on the side of my ribs and also under my chest but more on my side and back.. so i am guessing my lungs.have had for 3 days been taking aspirin for the pain.on a scale from 1 to 10 the pain is a 5.also just got over a head cold..i am coughing little but not alot.can you tell me anything..

thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 pm

User avatar Hi Jdnight,

You may have a condition called pleurisy. Pleurisy is inflammation of the lining of the lungs and chest wall. It often is triggered by a viral infection.

This pain can be quite severe at times and is often worse with deep breathing. It is treated with anti-inflammatory medicines.

If your pain doesn't begin to improve, or if it gets worse I would recommend you see your doctor.