Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: sharp pain in lung

jdnight - Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:50 am

hi i am a 35 male,and a smoker about 1 and 1/2 packs a day.i have had a sharp pain in my back almost on the side of my ribs and also under my chest but more on my side and back.. so i am guessing my lungs.have had for 3 days been taking aspirin for the pain.on a scale from 1 to 10 the pain is a 5.also just got over a head cold..i am coughing little but not alot.can you tell me anything..

thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 pm

User avatar Hi Jdnight,

You may have a condition called pleurisy. Pleurisy is inflammation of the lining of the lungs and chest wall. It often is triggered by a viral infection.

This pain can be quite severe at times and is often worse with deep breathing. It is treated with anti-inflammatory medicines.

If your pain doesn't begin to improve, or if it gets worse I would recommend you see your doctor.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us