Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump along Jaw line

 Spencer - Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:04 pm

I have noticed for the past 1-1/2 months that I have had a lump under my right jaw line. I have read that it might be related to lymph nodes; as it appears to have swelled throughout the day. It is painless but appears to be getting larger. I was wondering what kind of doctor do i need to see (what is this kind of doctor). I don't want to go to a GP, i want someone who specializes in this. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:22 pm

User avatar Hi Spencer,

The area you are describing does have many lymph nodes in it. These frequently will become enlarged when fighting off an infection (even if the infection doesn't cause other symptoms). Often, when they are fighting an infection the may be a bit sore but this is certainly not the case all the time.

Based on the fact that this post is in the lymphoma board I should also mention that with cancer lymph nodes can swell as well. Generally, cancerous nodes are non painful, fixed in place (not able to be moved around with pressure) and are slowly growing in size. As with all things in medicine there are exceptions, but this is generally the rule.

Given that your lump is getting bigger quickly and by simple odds your lump is likely to be a swollen lymph node fighting off an infection. If, however, there is other concern or you would like to have it evaluated, seeing your primary care doctor is actually a very good place to start. If you prefer a specialist, an Ear, Nose and Throat (also called an otolaryngologist) is the right place.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written a very good article on lymph nodes that can be found here.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us