Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lung Cancer

Question: Lumps on both front sides bottom of ribcage

jrichardson - Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:14 am

My father has a lump the size of a baseball on the lower part of his right front ribcage, he went to the doctor 2 days ago and they said that he also had a mass developing on the other side. This morning, when he got up the lump on his left side was bigger than the lump on the right.
He doesn't have an appointment again until Monday, the kids feel he should make an appointment to be seen right away as these are growing so fast. Should we be concerned about cancer? He is 78 years old and had prostate cancer almost 10 years ago.
Thank you,
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:17 pm

I agree that these symptoms are very concerning especially that your father has a past history of prostate cancer.

Radiological investigations and complete work up are essential to exclude bone metastases and disease relapse. Investigations include Bone scan and CT Scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. PSA level should be also evaluated.

Management will be taken based on the previous therapy given and his disease status including the presence of medical comorbidity (e.g. cardiac, renal, hepatic function).

Other causes like primary bone or soft tissue mass is evaluated according to radiological results and the result of any taken biopsy.

I advise you to follow up with his doctor.
Please keep us updated.