Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Seroma will not drain

lizabeth1973 - Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:07 pm

I had surgery to remove a malignant melanoma and also lymph node removal on November 27, 2007. Three weeks after surgery I developed a seroma under my arm where the lymph nodes were removed. Last week the seroma started to fill with fluid again. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he tried to drain it again. It would not drain. He said the fluid may have "gelled" and he wants me to come back in 8 weeks. He didn't say whether this was serious or not or how he would remove the gelled fluid. If the lump does not go away on it's own, is there a risk for infection? Will he have to surgically remove the gel?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:35 am

User avatar Hi lizabeth1973,
A seroma is essentially a collection of fluid near the surgical site. These often resolve with the contents being reabsorbed by the body, after a few weeks time. Generally speaking the seroma itself does not pose a risk of infection although repeated attempts at aspirating the fluid does increase the risk. I hope this is helpful. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us