Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Fissure, Hemorrhoids or cancer?

momoy4 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 am

Hi there. Hope you can help me out.

I am 35 Years old male at 5'7" overweight at 220Lbs. My chronic problem is gout due to high uric acid of which i am constantly battling for almost 10 years now. Anyways I have switched to a vegetarian diet for two years already but loves carbs, sweets etc..which is why i am overweight.

I've been taking colchicine to cure my gout when I have an attack....

My question is this...recently for the past 6 days i have felt a progressive discomfort develop during bowel movement. I am not constipated as my stool is pretty much soft and whole.

Day 1 discomfort: slight pain in rectal area during defacation
day 2 discomfort: same slight pain
day 3 discmfort: same slight pain but checked with the tissue and saw very very very faint bloodstain almost very pink and only a tiny drop
day 4 discomfort: pain increasing during defacation... was able to pass..decided to go on high fiber diet
day 5 discomfot: same pain, but had a bit of a challenge passing...pain continues throughout half of the day while i am at the office...but very bearable...feels like there's a wound or something
day 6 discomfort: more pain while passing...a bit constipated and felt like there's a mass "inside" my rectum for the whole day....checked my underwear after lunch and saw drops of dried blood.

I am quite in a panic. Would this be a fissure, homorrhoids or something much like cancer.

appreciate your help and thanks in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:05 am

User avatar Hello,

I apologize for the late response.

It would be impossible to make a guess without direct clinical examination. I hope you have had the chance to visit your doctor and that you got the clean bill of health!

Anal cancer is a relatively rare disease. It occurs more commonly in Black women than in Whites or Hispanics. More than 80% are 50-60yrs old.
However, during the last decade it has become more common in men younger than 35 years, reversing the gender ratio in this age group; it also is related to receptive anal intercourse.

Risk Factors with Strong Evidence:
HPV (anogenital warts)
History of receptive anal intercourse
History of STDs
>10 sexual partners
History of cervical, vulvar, or vaginal cancer
Immunosuppression after solid-organ transplantation.

About 25% of newly diagnosed patients with anal cancer do not have symptoms.
Bleeding or palpable mass occurs in 50% of patients.
Pain or spasm is a symptom in 40% of cases.
Sensation of a mass (not palpable) occurs in 25% and pruritus in 15%.
Coexistent conditions (ie, anal fistula, anal fissure, or hemorrhoids) are common. A high index of suspicion in the presence of a mass is warranted and a histological specimen should be taken whenever in doubt.

Good luck with your symptoms and please let us know if everything is ok!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us