Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Rectal cancer surgery aftermath

don2770 - Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:52 pm

My mother has had 2 surgeries for rectal cancer. She has been through chemo and radiation as well. So far everything is looking pretty good, but she has numbness in her body, mostly fingers, feet, and the surgical area. Is there anything she can do to improve the numbness. Thank-you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:55 am

I am happy to hear that your mother is doing well. Rectal cancer is curable when caught early. The numbness could be related to her chemotherapy. Do you know what regimen she received? One drug that is sometimes used in the treatment of rectal cancer is cisplatin which is known to cause neuropathy.