Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Cancer of Unknown Primary

Question: Head lump?

RainieB - Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:49 am

I was rubbing the back of my head yesterday and noticed the back left side of my head has a hard lump, kind of bone-like. The other side has the same thing, but is not as pronounced. Is this something to worry about? Do certain brain tumors or other cancers manafest here?

Thank you!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:47 pm

Our skulls are far from symetrical, and they all have lumps and bumps (which is what lead to the old-time and quite bogus "science" of phrenology -- the "reading" of head bumps). What you describe, so long as it is not consistently painful to the touch, is absolutely normal. Oh, and brain tumors don't cause lumps on the head -- they are strictly inside,which is a big part of the problem, since their confinement inside the skull causes pressure on the brain.

So it sounds like your head is absolutely normal! Good news.