Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: AML leukemia - will I pass it to my kids?

amlquestion - Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:33 pm

My partner was diagnosed with AML leukemia as a little boy and has been in successful remission for nearly 25 years. We were talking about the genetics of the disease recently and neither of us know how the gene is passed from generation to generation. If we were to have children, what is the likelyhood that they could develop AML? There is no history of the condition in my family.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:38 pm

User avatar Hi amlquestion,
It would be next to impossible for me to state regarding the likelihood or not of passing AML from a genetic standpoint. In most cases of AML, determination of the causative factor can not be identified. Genetic tendencies although may increase the risk of certain diseases such as cancer it does not necessarily mean that one is destined to develop cancer in their lifetime. Other factors play a role in development too, for example, lifestyle, diet, obesity, environmental factors, etc. Something for you and your partner to consider would be genetic counseling on inherited diseases. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. Best wishes.