Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Bleeding from anus

19xxxLuLuxxx89 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:55 pm

Hiya, im a 19 year old female. For almost a year now i have had small amonts of bright red blood on the toilet tissue and in the toilet after having a bowell movement. I have also noticed that there are these bulging red veins when i strain for a bowell movement. Also my anal opening swells all the way round when straining for a bowell movement and is blue in colour there also appears to be a few tears on the opening too. Please could you tell me what this is? I'm too embarrassed to go to the doctor and am really scared i have colan cancer. Lucia.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 am

User avatar Hi there!

If you are bleeding you should be checked. It could be just hemorrhoids or the presence of bleeding could be a manifestation of something more serious. There is no way to tell without a clinical examination. You really shouldn't be embarrassed. It could be something nasty and when a doctor examines you its because he knows the possibilities and wants to rule them out.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us