Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: tiny lump on left neck

ddtan - Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:08 am

Hi, about 2 years ago I develope a really tiny lump under the skin on the left side of my neck just below the jaw. It's painless and appears like a lymph node. I went to see a doctor but he didn't seem to concern, although I did take a bloodtest but my doctor didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Anyways, it's over 2 years now and the lump is still there, it hasn't increased in size but I have develope a chronic case of adomenal discomfort. My doctor thinks it gas because my CT scan didn't show anything. Other than that I haven't develope any other symptoms and I also recently visit my doctor again and took another blood test and again didn't find anything strange.

I was wondering if there is any other test I need to take? They said it is good to catch cancer early so I would like to do everything possible to prevent it.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 pm

This swelling is probably an enlarged Lymph node LN (probably a submandibular LN).

This lymph node group drain the teeth, the gum and the lips. Following infection or inflammation in the area drained by them, they grow in size and become painful. When infection or inflammation subsides they regress in size but never disappear.

So, these nodes remain palpable, painless, rubbery in consistency and usually less than 1 cm in diameter. To the contrary those continue to grow are of concern and should be properly investigated.

Clinical examination and history taking are essential for evaluation.
Please follow up with your doctor and keep us updated.