Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Cancer of Unknown Primary

Question: Patela Nodule

COkar - Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:57 pm

I am writing for my 79 year old father. He has a nodule below his kneecap shaped like an egg; about half the size of small egg; no pain involved; doctor tried to aspirate 2 times and got nothing; had blood work done and white cell count normal, no fever, rheumatoid arthritus negative; doctor had MRI done - either he or Radiologist says Bursitis
How can this be with no pain ever and no fluid in nodule; My dad also has unusual fatigue and no energy for more than 3 months
He monitors his blood sugar well, has good blood pressure, had good PSA 4 months ago, no fever
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:37 pm

Prepatellar bursitis causes pain and swelling in front of the kneecap during acute phase of inflammation. If the condition is repeated and following recurrent attacks of acute bursitis, thickening of the bursa tissue occurs and folds of bursa tissue are formed and felt as lumps.

MRI is the test of choice and any suspicious signals would direct further investigations. So, I assume that his doctor did not see any malignancy concerning features on your fatherÍ—s MRI.

However, considering his personal history of prostate cancer and assuming that this a recent swelling, it is better to do a new PSA and a bone scan to exclude serious causes like bone metastasis although unlikely if MRI results are very clear and not just suggestive

I advise you to discuss these possibilities with his doctor to be reassured that he has excluded all serious causes for this swelling. You also should observe this swelling and any changes like increase in size should be reported to his doctor.

Hope you find this information useful.