Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Bladder Cancer

Question: Fingerlike protrusions in the bladder

 scojo641213 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:40 pm

In the past few months I have been plagued with urinary tract infections. My physician gave me a cat-scan that showed nothing. Today I underwent a scope of my bladder. The physician found a finger-like protrusion inside my bladder. He has scheduled a biopsy of the protrusion next month. I have researched this on the internet and all information suggest bladder cancer. Are these protrusions always malignant? If not, what are some other conditions that these might be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
Bladder polyps are growths in the superficial layer of the bladder. They may be symptomatic causing cystitis and bleeding or asymptomatic.

Polyps can be benign or malignant. The only way to differentiate between them is through transurtheral resection TUR and pathological examination.

Causes of most benign and cancerous bladder polyps is unknown and risk factors include smoking and exposure to certain chemicals.

Bladder cancer is not common in adults under age 55 and men are frequently affected than women.

Benign bladder polyps may require only complete resection while the standard treatment in malignant (superficial non invasive) cases is repeat transurethral resection TUR. However, according to the depth of invasion and grade, intravesical therapy with bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BGC) or mitomycin (MMC) may be recommended.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to go for cystoscopy and biopsy for proper management.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 scojo641213 - Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Thank you so much Dr. Mahmoud! I guess I need to ask more questions of my physician instead of doing searches on-line and getting worked up and fearing the worst. This site is a great service. Thank you

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us