Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Lump in underarms

renunair - Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 am

I am 31 years old female. I have been having this lump in my underarm for the past 10 years. It appeared under one arm and then gradually came in both at the age of 21. that was also the time when i was putting on a little weight. the lumps looks more like fat growth and hurts only when pressed hard. the hair growth is very less in that area. i had Caesarean at the age of 27.please advise whether i can get it removed surgically.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:02 pm

According to your description, this is a benign looking swelling that could be a lymph node enlargement or just subcutaneous fat.

If we assumed they are lymph nodes, then the history you gave is reassuring since you have felt them for 10 years and there is no significant increase in their size, number or any other similar swellings in other areas of your body.
Lymph node enlargement usually occurs as a reactionary process following infection or inflammation in the area drained by this lymph node group.

If we assumed that this is just fat causing no problems I would not advise any surgical intervention unless they are causing a significant cosmetic problem which mandates consultation of a plastic surgeon.

Direct clinical examination is essential for proper management.
Keep us updated.