Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Mammogram says "Subtle benign appearing densities"

vaznut - Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Hello, I'm 61 yrs old and my last mammogram was 2004 which was normal. I received my recent mammogram (10-2008) and it came back with these findings:
"Stable benign appearing densities at the superior aspect of the left breast and benign appearing calcifications. Another circumscribed benign appearing density is noted at the right breast externally, there is a single calcification at the superior and external aspect of the left breast." What does all this mean ? I'm freaking out . The bottom of the report says:"Correlation with ultrasound is recommended for complete characterization"
Does this spell trouble ? I would appreciate any info that perhaps can ease my mind till I can get a US.
Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:43 pm

User avatar Hi vaznut,
Benign means not cancerous. Typically the reasoning for performing an ultrasound is to correlate findings or identify something not completely clear on a mammogram. Having both diagnostic studies not not immediately spell trouble. It essentially means that in order to provide a definitive answer, both studies are indicated. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 vaznut - Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:18 am

Thank you for responding to my concerns. Going to get Ultra sound this thursday . Will keep you posted as to results.
Thanks again for your work.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:40 pm

User avatar Hi vaznut,
An update would be most appreciated when your time permits. Best wishes and I hope to hear good news :)
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 vaznut - Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:54 am

Hi again , just wanted to let you know that I went for my U.S. yesterday and will know the results by next Friday . Will keep you posted. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:27 pm

User avatar Thank you! That would be most appreciated.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 vaznut - Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi. Took awhile to get my Ultra-Sound but here are the results and I hope is good news:
"Systematic scanning of the breast shows small hypoechoic circumscribed benign appearing nodules at the external aspect of the left breast at 2:00 that measures 5 by 3 by 6 mm.No irregular solid lesions are demonstrated at either breast.
IMPRESSION : SONOGRAPHICALLY BENIGN NODULE AT THE LEFT BREAST;
MOST LIKELY SMALL FIBROADENOMA.
ASSESSMENT: BI-RADS CATEGORY 2 - BENIGN FINDINGS

What do you think ? My appointment with GYN is not until 2 months. Should I worry about this small fibroadenoma ? What is it exactly ? And is a BI-RAD of 2
good ? They didn't indicate anything about follow-up mammogram in 6 months to a year . Please help me on this since I not totally free from worry yet. Would appreciate any input.
Thank you so much.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:18 pm

User avatar Hi vaznut,
This is good news indeed! A fibroadenoma is a fibrous/glandular benign tumor(non cancerous growth). BI-RAD is a radiology rating system. A rating of 2 is good, 4/5 would be suspicious for a malignancy. You should have a follow up mammogram and I would encourage you during your visit to inquire about a repeat mammogram in 6 months to 1 year just to assure there are no changes. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. Best wishes!
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 vaznut - Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:59 am

Thank you so much for your input. I will ask for follow-up mammogram when I go to my GYN. I probaby prefer one in 6 months rather than a whole year just in case. Anyway , will keep you informed of any further developments along the way . Again thank you so much for your time.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us