Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Mammogram says "Subtle benign appearing densities"

vaznut - Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Hello, I'm 61 yrs old and my last mammogram was 2004 which was normal. I received my recent mammogram (10-2008) and it came back with these findings:
"Stable benign appearing densities at the superior aspect of the left breast and benign appearing calcifications. Another circumscribed benign appearing density is noted at the right breast externally, there is a single calcification at the superior and external aspect of the left breast." What does all this mean ? I'm freaking out . The bottom of the report says:"Correlation with ultrasound is recommended for complete characterization"
Does this spell trouble ? I would appreciate any info that perhaps can ease my mind till I can get a US.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:43 pm

User avatar Hi vaznut,
Benign means not cancerous. Typically the reasoning for performing an ultrasound is to correlate findings or identify something not completely clear on a mammogram. Having both diagnostic studies not not immediately spell trouble. It essentially means that in order to provide a definitive answer, both studies are indicated. Best wishes.
 vaznut - Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:18 am

Thank you for responding to my concerns. Going to get Ultra sound this thursday . Will keep you posted as to results.
Thanks again for your work.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:40 pm

User avatar Hi vaznut,
An update would be most appreciated when your time permits. Best wishes and I hope to hear good news :)
 vaznut - Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:54 am

Hi again , just wanted to let you know that I went for my U.S. yesterday and will know the results by next Friday . Will keep you posted. Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:27 pm

User avatar Thank you! That would be most appreciated.
 vaznut - Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Hi. Took awhile to get my Ultra-Sound but here are the results and I hope is good news:
"Systematic scanning of the breast shows small hypoechoic circumscribed benign appearing nodules at the external aspect of the left breast at 2:00 that measures 5 by 3 by 6 mm.No irregular solid lesions are demonstrated at either breast.
IMPRESSION : SONOGRAPHICALLY BENIGN NODULE AT THE LEFT BREAST;
MOST LIKELY SMALL FIBROADENOMA.
ASSESSMENT: BI-RADS CATEGORY 2 - BENIGN FINDINGS

What do you think ? My appointment with GYN is not until 2 months. Should I worry about this small fibroadenoma ? What is it exactly ? And is a BI-RAD of 2
good ? They didn't indicate anything about follow-up mammogram in 6 months to a year . Please help me on this since I not totally free from worry yet. Would appreciate any input.
Thank you so much.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:18 pm

User avatar Hi vaznut,
This is good news indeed! A fibroadenoma is a fibrous/glandular benign tumor(non cancerous growth). BI-RAD is a radiology rating system. A rating of 2 is good, 4/5 would be suspicious for a malignancy. You should have a follow up mammogram and I would encourage you during your visit to inquire about a repeat mammogram in 6 months to 1 year just to assure there are no changes. I hope this has been somewhat helpful. Best wishes!
 vaznut - Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:59 am

Thank you so much for your input. I will ask for follow-up mammogram when I go to my GYN. I probaby prefer one in 6 months rather than a whole year just in case. Anyway , will keep you informed of any further developments along the way . Again thank you so much for your time.