Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: bleeding and sharp pains in rectum

reverse689 - Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:22 pm

Im 23 years old and as you can see my bckground states a bit of bowerl cancer. For the past year and a half I would say ive had occasional rectum bleedings when going to the washroom its very spotty. But recently when I go a good amount of blood appears on the toliet paper. Like a spot about an inch in diameter. not to thick but noticeable. Also ive had sharp pains in my rectum which has my body to tense up all like a muscle spasm. This happens maybe once a week. The heavier bleeding and frequent spasm have only started to occur recently like within the past 2 months or so. Also when i go to the washroom theres a bit of pain like a scraping pain. Any all day if Im to contract like suck in my rectum theres a bit of pain and that never really goes away. I was wondering what the problem could be?.....hemeroid?? or something more severe like bowel cancer??....also the blood that comes out is usually medium red not really bright but not dark either.

Cheers,
 Shelly Hoppe EMTP - Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:19 pm

User avatar Greeting Reverse;

First of all, any rectal bleeding should be checked out with your physician. It could be a simple case of internal hemmoroids. You could have a small anal tear which can be quite painful. If your doctor cannot find a simple cause for your pain and bleeding a colonoscopy could be in order.

Thanks for posting.

Shelly
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:42 pm

The most likely possibility would be hemorrhoids, which can be inside where you can't even see them. At your age you are not at risk for colon cancer but rectal bleeding should be checked out if hemorroids are not there because there are always exceptions. You could also have an abscess. Only your doctor can check this out to find the actual cause of the bleeding. The sharp pains are quite normal for some people. You should report these symptoms to your doctor.

Best wishes