Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Hydrocodone and Brain Tumors

kckid4u - Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:43 am

I have been using large doses of hydrocodone for a long period of time. I am going to start withdrawling from it tomorrow. My question is this however. Can using hydrocodone in large doses for long periods of time cause someone to develope brain tumors? Is there a history of that? I saw where you are supposed to tell your doctor if you have ever had a head injury or brain tumor before using hydrocodone. What is the reason for this? I ask cause I had a severe head injury about 4 years ago and am now experiencing weird pains in my head.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:01 pm

One of the serious effects of narcotic like hydrocodones is increase in the intracranial CSF pressure, resulting in undesired neurologic symptoms and respiratory depressant effects.
These effects are more likely and more severe if there is a recent head injury or any intracranial lesion or any cause that may increase the intracranial pressure. So physicians must check well the history of their patients before they prescribe it.

Regarding its effect as a carciogenic, there is no data that supports or reject this issue so simply there are no data. Interestingly, these compounds are commonly used in pain management in cancer patients.

I assume your physician asked you about a history of head injury or brain tumor mainly to be sure there will be no serious effects on the neurologic system or on the respiratory functions. You can always discuss with your doctor these concerns.

Hope you find this useful.