Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Cysts that "cluster" in breast?

10ne1 - Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Although I am familiar with cysts, I was wondering what might cause a cluster formation of cysts in the breast (above the nipple). Almost a week ago I had visibly noticed a bulge in my chest (which has since gone down significantly). An ultrasound today illustrated the cluster formation. Is the situation to be considered any differently due to this variation?

Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:31 pm

It would be helpful if you can inform us the details of the mammography and US results as written in the report.

Please keep us updated.
 looking4help - Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm

I also have had an ultrasound recently and was told that I had a probable cluster of cysts, also above my nipple. The conclusion on the report said something along the lines that I had no solid lumps and that 12 noon on my right breast was a probable cluster of cysts. It then continued to say that for confirmation some other test could be done. When my doctor got this report he said it was normal and I didn't need the other test. That the main part was that the result said no solid lumps. Is this correct or should he have sent me to confirm the US results?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:52 am

Breast cysts develop through processes of lobular involution and,
are found mostly in perimenopausal women.
It is uncommon to find cysts in women younger than age 35.
Cysts may develop in postmenopausal women, but
this is distinctly uncommon unless the woman is taking HRT.
I am unaware of your age or if you are on HRT.
Broadly one may classify cysts in the breast as 'simple' cysts and 'complex' (or 'atypical') cysts. Among the complex cysts, there is one variety known as 'sponge-like cluster of cysts'.Your lesion may belong to this variety.Complex cysts generally need to be more carefully assessed, followed up or treated.
Solitary cysts can be aspirated and the aspirate subjected to cytological assessment.This may be impractical in a 'sponge-like cluster of cysts'. Therefore, i would be inclined to suggest an excision biopsy of this lesion.
Please consult with your surgeon and discuss the pros and cons.
Good luck to you!