Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Recurrent Axillary Lymph Gland

bostongal - Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:02 pm

I am a 45 year old woman. Three months ago I visited my primary physician with a swollen, painful lymph node under right armpit. He examined and determined that it was most likely an infection. Three weeks later he had me in for follow-up and the lymph gland was still swollen but no longer painful. He decided on a wait and see approach, still staying that it was an infection. I have recently had a mammogram that was clear. Over time I became less aware of the gland but the swelling never really receeded. Three weeks ago the lymph gland became large and hard. There is no pain but it feels like I am walking around with a baseball in my armpit.

Should I be concerned about this and revisit my physician? Is there it likely that this is caused by an infection?

Thanks - Meg
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:27 am

User avatar Hello,

Yes, you should revisit your doctor if your gland has grown larger. This is a very important rule. Even if it is a recurrent infection a source needs to be determined. Sometimes a recurrent infection is a warning sign for something serious underlying the infection. More commonly, it just means that the infection has not been adequately dealt with.

Please keep us updated.
 bostongal - Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm

Thank you for replying.

As an update I went back to my primary doctor who sent me to an oncologist who did a breast exam, sent me for a mammogram and an CT with contrast. Both doctors agree that it is not a lymph gland as was suspected and that it is likely a tumor. I go back to the oncologist on January 13th to discuss what the next step is, either biopsy or removal.

I will update when I get further information.

thanks again.

Meg
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:56 am

User avatar Hello,

Thanks for the update. Please be sure to post the results here once you get them.

Good luck with the scans!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us