Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Recurrent Axillary Lymph Gland

bostongal - Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:02 pm

I am a 45 year old woman. Three months ago I visited my primary physician with a swollen, painful lymph node under right armpit. He examined and determined that it was most likely an infection. Three weeks later he had me in for follow-up and the lymph gland was still swollen but no longer painful. He decided on a wait and see approach, still staying that it was an infection. I have recently had a mammogram that was clear. Over time I became less aware of the gland but the swelling never really receeded. Three weeks ago the lymph gland became large and hard. There is no pain but it feels like I am walking around with a baseball in my armpit.

Should I be concerned about this and revisit my physician? Is there it likely that this is caused by an infection?

Thanks - Meg
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:27 am

Yes, you should revisit your doctor if your gland has grown larger. This is a very important rule. Even if it is a recurrent infection a source needs to be determined. Sometimes a recurrent infection is a warning sign for something serious underlying the infection. More commonly, it just means that the infection has not been adequately dealt with.

Please keep us updated.
 bostongal - Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm

Thank you for replying.

As an update I went back to my primary doctor who sent me to an oncologist who did a breast exam, sent me for a mammogram and an CT with contrast. Both doctors agree that it is not a lymph gland as was suspected and that it is likely a tumor. I go back to the oncologist on January 13th to discuss what the next step is, either biopsy or removal.

I will update when I get further information.

thanks again.

Meg
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:56 am

Thanks for the update. Please be sure to post the results here once you get them.

Good luck with the scans!