Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Lump in my scrotum, but not on a testicle

 MavricK1123 - Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:55 pm

About 2 days ago i discovered a lump that is actually kind of long and ovular rather than circular. It is about 1 1/4 cm long. I am not sure what to think since it is not on an actual testicle just inside the skin of the scrotum. It doesn't have any kind of head which leads me to believe it's not any kind of pimple or something. It only hurts a little bit if I have been touching it. I am very worried it may be cancerous.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:13 pm

User avatar Hello,

This could be a varicocele.
A varicocele is a dilatation of the veins within the scrotum. Varicoceles are commonly seen on the left side than in the right due to different anatomic factors. Varicocele can lead to discomfort around the testicle, rather than actual pain in the testicle itself.

Other causes of scrotal swelling (less likely) are hydrocele, hernia, spermatocele, and tumors.
- A hydrocele is a bag of clear fluid that collects in a sac around the testicle. It may be the result of a direct injury or occur spontaneously in the remnants of an embryonic sac that remains formed around the testicle from birth. Small hydroceles may hardly be noticed and often resolve without treatment.

- Hernia occurs when the local support tissues weaken, allowing loops of the bowel to slip from the abdomen into the groin.

- Testicular cancer usually affects only one testicle. It rarely presents with pain or discomfort in a testicle or the scrotum. Typically, testicular cancer produces a painless swelling of one testicle.

Direct clinical examination is essential, US will further help in the diagnosis. So, I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Best regards.
 MavricK1123 - Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 pm

well i am calling the hospital tomorrow.
i looked at an image of a varicocele online and i don't think thats what i have. its a lump near the bottom left scrotum and it actually has become a little painful.
 dutchboi - Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:02 pm

hi there i have been waiting to join the army since august but found out i had a hydrocele so had to have a operation in november i finally got my date to go on the 31 st of may but i fear it has returned what can i do . i really need to go to the army because it is my only future

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us