Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Cervical Cancer

Question: Abnormal cervical cells run in family- should I be worried?

 heartncrossbones - Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 pm

I have a constant fear of doctors- and an even worse fear of cancer. Unfortunately, cervical cell abnormalities run in my family. I am 18 years old, sexually active (it has been 9 months since I first became active), and my mom has no idea. As you can suspect I don't want to tell her about my sexual activity, though it has been with only one man, and that man my boyfriend and possibly husband in the next few years (she doesn't think we should be together). My periods are regular, though as I get older the bleeding increases- and if I have sex during my period the cycle seems to start all over. It usually lasts about 4 days and I have no spotting in between the cycles. My mother and aunt had abnormal cervical cells when they were in their twenties- my mother's faded away on their own but my aunt had to have pieces of her cervix removed. Nothing has caused me to fear I have cancer except for my paranoia about being sexually active and developing cancer and not knowing it.
I am afraid to ask my mom right now to help me schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN, since I do not have one at present I don't really know how to go about getting one without some assistance from my mom. Would it be ok to wait a year until I am comfortable doing this on my own before going to get a pap smear or should I do it ASAP.
 Vanna0407 - Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:19 am

You should have an annual with a pap if you are sexual active. There are plenty of clinics that would offer these services at a dicounted price, or your primary care can usually perform them. Your mother does not need to know about anything considering your age, but if you do tell her it will make being responsible a lot easier with her help.
 butterflykiss3s03103 - Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:28 pm

It is very important to get pap smears done at least once a year. If you are afraid of your mother finding out, Im not sure if there is one in your area but there is a clinic called "planned parenthood", which is a free and confidential office where you can be seen if you are concerned.
I hope this helps and good luck to you

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us