Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: large spongy knot in the left clavicle region

 daisymaewalker - Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:48 am

About a year ago I found a knot in the left clavicl region. I went to the dr. and he was very alarmed. He suggested imaging with dye and I had this done. I was contacted and told that this was a lipoma or a fatty tumor. The surgeon I saw was not real axious about removing it because of its location. He did some type of ultrosaound thing in his office and said there was not any fluid to drain from it. He told me to vist once a year and monitor the size. It has been a year and a half since I have been and people are starting to notice it. It is pretty big. Is there a chance of lymphoma being misdiagnosed as a lipoma. What is your suggestion of getting this removed and what kind of surgeon or Dr. to see. I have been told to see and oncologist. Can you please point me in a direction so I can quit worrying about this thing.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:52 am

User avatar Hi,

Supraclavicular nodes are always alarming because in some cases they indicate an advanced malignancy of the lungs, breasts or abdominal cavity.

It is very unlikely that they missed a lymph node and mistook it for a lipoma given the amount of attention you received.

Although, removal of a lipoma is not necessary from the pathological sense. The fact that it has grown to become noticeable and the fact that this is disturbing in the cosmetic sense is an indication to get it removed. I think you should contact your surgical oncologist again and tell him that although you are not worried about it turning out malignant you do think it's disfiguring. A cosmetic surgeon can also remove it although it will probably cost you more.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us