Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: breast recontruction

skeeter - Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am

In 1997 I had a lumpectomy and some lymph nodes removed, as the years have gone by my breast has become increasingly smaller than my left breast.

I was told by a doctor that breast reconstruction would not heal properly because of radiation is this true? It is impossible to find a bra that fits good. Can you help me?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 pm

It is true that tissues previously exposed to radiation tend to interfere with certain types of reconstruction based on implant induced tissue expansion.

However delayed (post-RT) reconstructive surgery can be done using normal skin flaps in place of the radiated skin. The possibility to do in your case would need a consultation of a plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast reconstruction for patients with irradiated tissues.

The plastic surgeon is more aware whether this is applicable or not in each specific case.

There are different types of breast prosthesis and bras that may be helpful and may be supplied by different nonprofit organizations. You better also ask for an advice about this issue from your doctor.

Please keep us updated.